T-minus 2 days until the Cleveland Marathon and the taper-crazies are in full swing! Insane hunger, cravings, race nightmares, lack of focus, phantom injuries, mood swings, just to name a few. I'm in full glycogen depletion mode right now, and tomorrow I will start adding them back in. I decided I would share my meals this week to show how I carb deplete for races.
Day 6 (Monday) - Breakfast: 3 egg whites with spinach and 2 turkey sausage links; Lunch: Greek Yogurt, Veggie Burger, Cheese Stick, Apple, Pretzels; Dinner: Spinach Salad with shrimp, black beans, corn and cheddar cheese
Day 5 (Tuesday) - Breakfast: Greek yogurt and a spoonful of peanut butter; Lunch: Greek Yogurt, Spinach Salad with chicken sausage and black beans, Cheese Stick, Apple, Pretzels, celery and peanut butter; Dinner: Black bean burger, guacamole, two corn tortillas; Snack: Cereal
Day 4 (Wednesday) - Breakfast: 3 egg whites with spinach and 2 turkey sausage links; Lunch: Greek Yogurt, spinach salad with chicken sausage and black beans, Cheese Stick, Apple, Pretzels, celery and peanut butter, Cheese Stick, Apple, Pretzels; Dinner: Burger on gluten free toast with spinach and avocado; Snack: Luna Bar
Day 3 (Thursday) - Breakfast: Greek yogurt and a spoonful of peanut butter; Lunch: Greek Yogurt, Spinach Salad with chicken sausage and black beans, Cheese Stick, Apple, Pretzels, celery and peanut butter; Dinner: Balsalmic Chicken, roasted broccoli, baked sweet potato fries; Snack: Luna Bar
Day 2 (Friday) - Breakfast: 3 egg whites with spinach and 2 pieces of toast; Lunch: Greek Yogurt; Spinach Salad with chicken sausage and black beans, Cheese Stick, Apple, Pretzels, celery and peanut butter; Dinner: Pasta with Chicken
Day 1 (Saturday) - Breakfast: 3 egg whites and toast; Lunch: Rice with chicken; Dinner: Spaghetti with red sauce and ground beef; Snack: Cereal
The expo is tomorrow and I can feel my wallet hurting already. I've definitely been working hard on my mental game this week since this is the point where doubts try to kick in. So I thought I'd share some things I have been working on during taper to prepare myself for the race!
The 12 Mantras I will be repeating during the race when things get rough:
1. Your mind will quit a thousand times before your body will. Feel the fear and do it anyway.
2. Endurance is one of the most difficult disciplines, but it is to the one who endures that the final victory comes
3. Even when you have gone as far as you can and everything hurts, and you are staring at the spector of self doubt, you can find a bit more strength deep inside of you, if you look closely enough.
4. It's going to be hard, but hard is not impossible.
6. In training, you listen to your body. In competition, you tell your body to shut up.
7. Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. Just do it.
8. When I reach my breaking point I tell myself that the race begins here. Every step I take now is what really counts.
9. Your body will argue that there is no justifiable reason to continue. Your only recourse is to call upon your spirit, which fortunately functions independent of logic.
10. Today I will feel the burn in my legs. I will fight the urge to want to quit. I will breathe heavily and become so sore where it hurts to walk. I will give it my all and my everything. I willput in 110 percent effort and no one will stop me.
11. The thirst you feel in your throat and lungs will be gone minutes after the race is over. The pain in your legs, within days. But the glory of your finish will last forever.
I also thought I would share my top 12 power songs. I have a lot of favorites on my running playlist, but these are the ones with lyrics that always push me through when the going gets tough.
1. Till I Collapse - Eminem ("Cause sometimes you just feel tired, Feel weak, and when you feel weak, you feel like you wanna just give up. But you gotta search within you, you gotta find that inner strength. And just pull that $*#! out of you and get that motivation to not give up. And not be a quitter, no matter how bad you wanna just fall flat on your face and collapse.")
2. Just Like Fire - P!nk ("We can get 'em running running, running...Just like fire, burning out the way, If I can light the world up for just one day")
3. Bang My Head - Sia and Fetty Wap ("Though I feel light headed, now I know I will not fall, I will rise above it all")
4. Dream - LeCrae ("So I dream, I Dream, I dream...")
5. Can't Hold Us - Macklemore ("Tonight is the night, we'll fight 'til it's over, So we put our hands up like the ceiling can't hold us")
6. Let It Go - Frozen ("it's time to see what I can do, to test the limits and break through..")
7. Stronger - Kanye West ("N-now th-that that don't kill me, can only make me stronger")
8. Heart of a Champion - Nelly ("Ain't no way they can stop me now, cause I'm on my way, I can feel my ring comin, it's the blood of a champion.")
9. Centuries - Fall Out Boy ("Some legends are told, Some turn to dust or to gold, But you will remember me, Remember me for centuries.")
10. Alive - Sia ("I'm still breathing, I'm still breathing, I'm alive")
11. Remember the Name - Fort Minor ("This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
Fifteen percent concentrated power of will, Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain, and a hundred percent reason to remember the name.")
12. Fight Song - Rachel Platten ("My power's turned on, starting right now I'll be strong
I'll play my fight song, and I don't really care if nobody else believes, 'Cause I've still got a lot of fight left in me")
And the song I will be starting the race with? Till I Die by Machine Gun Kelly because it's about Cleveland!
That will probably be it for me on here until after the race! It's been a long training cycle, but I'm ready and I know I will have my training partner with me for at least 13 miles of it, plus some other people strategically placed to meet me. The weather looks pretty good as of now. Only thing left to do is to get my packet and take on 26.2 miles!